Saturday, August 24, 2013

Better Being.


I started a new weight program this week. Whenever someone asks me to work out I say, “wait.”  -- A little joke to start the morning.

Last Saturday I mentioned that I would work on Compassion, Kindness, Humility, Gentleness, and Patience throughout the next week.

All of these things are qualities that I see in a lot of people around me and wanted to instill them in my life more than they have been.

But how can I get there? I treated it like training for a long-distance run.

This week I also got back into running after few weeks off.  Let me tell you, trying to get back to your fastest, longest time is not easy.

But I had a plan to Walk-Run-Walk, then Run- Walk-Run-Walk then a few days into that I could change it up to Run-walk-Run. And next week I will push it to a little further.

So with my spiritual challenge of being better I found a plan and that I start to follow as well.

I call it the Quick-Slow-Slow Plan.

I can be quick, slow, slow and achieve my goal.

I found this guidance in James 1:19. My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires.

Quick to listen
Slow to speak
Slow to anger

If I listen first I can hear what the other person is trying to say and give them a chance to speak fully. (This can reflect Compassion, Kindness and Humility)

By being slow to speak I can give myself time to really think about my response towards others and not be quick to say hurtful or unkind remarks. (Kindness and gentleness)

And by being slow to anger will allow other emotions to take over before I get to the “anger” one.  Other emotions are usually better than anger anyway (this helps me put into practice Patience, Gentleness and really all of the qualities I am trying to reflect.)

Ok, so let’s do it. We can be "Better Being Quick, Slow, Slow!"

If nothing else it’s a start.

Thanks for taking the time to read with me today!

Quick, Slow, Slow,
-adam

No comments:

Post a Comment