Monday, February 24, 2014

T.A.L.K.

We’ve all heard of the saying “If you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all…”   a cute little saying that challenges us to bite our tongue and be a little less opinionative and negative. However, as we get older this phrase escapes our motto for life and we let criticism and opinions fly.  If we were to evaluate the way we communicate towards one another, what do we say? Are we mean..Hateful..?  

I believe in being real with each other and honest, but there is always a good way to approach someone and a bad way.  My kids started to tell us this week “Good Job” when we do anything, putting on a shirt… “Good job mommy”.  When we finish our lunch… “Good job daddy.”   Apparently we say it often.

The Bible is clear on how we should speak to each other …Ephesians 4:29 “Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.

It’s easy for me to build up my kids; however, my attitude towards others and even towards myself could use this reminder daily.   “Good for building up” … is it possible to do?

Growing up we had a little plaque in our house.  It had the word TALK on it and each letter made a word.

T- Try

A – A

L – Little

K – Kindness

1 Thessalonians 5:11 also gives a quick sentence to reiterate:  “Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing. 

This week remember these verses and Try A LittleKindness when you TALK.

Encourage each other and build each other up. “May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer.Psalm 19:14

No comments:

Post a Comment