Saturday, October 12, 2013

I’m Doing What I Wanted You to Tell Me to Do.


My Life (a short skit)

Act 1   Scene 1

Me: “Do you have a dessert menu?”

Waitress: “We have three options, Ice Cream on a Cookie….”

Me: ”OOOh that sounds good, we’ll have that!”

I get back to the table and my wife asks, “What are their options?”

Me: “I got us the Ice Cream on a cookie.”

Wife: “What did they have to choose from?”

Me: “I can’t remember the other options, I just heard her say Ice Cream on a cookie and it sounded really good.”

Wife: “I asked you to bring the menu over so we could decide…” (End scene)

Epic… Fail.

I knew she wanted dessert and that we saw other patrons eating the ice cream, so that was on my mind instead of hearing all of the options. The waitress gave them to me but I tuned them out.

Going through life, I like to ask God for direction. Sometimes daily, weekly or monthly depending on how content I am with the path he wants me to be on.

But sometimes, I ask the question,” Lord where do you want me to go?” and already have the answer I want in my head.

The story in Mark 4 when Jesus is out in the Sea talking to a crowd on the shore, He starts off with a very important word. (Verses 3-8)

3 Listen! Behold, a sower went out to sow. 4 And as he sowed, some seed fell along the path, and the birds came and devoured it. Other seed fell on rocky ground, where it did not have much soil, and immediately it sprang up, since it had no depth of soil. And when the sun rose, it was scorched, and since it had no root, it withered away. Other seed fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up and choked it, and it yielded no grain. And other seeds fell into good soil and produced grain, growing up and increasing and yielding thirtyfold and sixtyfold and a hundredfold.”

What if we just stopped listening after verse 3? “A sower went to sow…” 

We’d be running around throwing seeds everywhere. “God told me to sow, so I am Sowing!!”

Jesus goes on to tell us where to sow, that way we do not sow in vain. 

If you are asking God for directions, help, or for Him to bring someone into your life; let HIM answer. Don’t ask and then run in the direction you want to.

This same advice I am trying to apply to conversations with other people.  This can be applied to everyday living.

 Let's listen, fully!

~adam

No comments:

Post a Comment