Saturday, July 20, 2013

Today was Tomorrow, Yesterday.


My Bucket list got a little smaller this week.  My amazing wife surprised me with tickets to see Paul McCartney in Concert.  A dream of mine and something that  I thought I would never get to do.

As I sat in the stadium and listen to him talk between songs, I noticed his demeanor changing just a little bit. He was talking about John Lennon and the things he didn’t get to say before he died.  He then sang a song he had written after John’s death.  The song ended and he left us with this, “Please don’t put off saying something to your friends or loved ones. You never know if you will get a chance again. “

This thought has been on my mind for a few years now. We never know when our or someone else’s last day on earth is and yet we sometimes choose not to forgive, not to say “I love you,” or  get so angry with them that we drive a wedge in the relationship.

It doesn’t have to be just the threat of Death, it could also just be them moving away, or being diagnosed with an illness that may not allow them to communicate to you any more.

The book I meditated on this week was Ephesians, Paul (not McCartney) writes in  Ephesians 4:25-32

~Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to your neighbor, for we are all members of one body.  “In your anger do not sin” Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry,  and do not give the devil a foothold. Anyone who has been stealing must steal no longer, but must work, doing something useful with their own hands, that they may have something to share with those in need.
 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.  And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.  Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.~

A great and constant reminder on how to Be, Today. (I should keep these verses on my desk, in my car and in my guitar case… Post them everywhere I go.)

And if I ever say to myself , I can wait until tomorrow I can go to Matthew 24:36
~“But concerning that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only.”~
 We may not get a tomorrow.  Tell Someone you love them today and if you have past arguments or problems to settle, Pray about fixing them. 
With love,
-adam

No comments:

Post a Comment