Saturday, January 31, 2015

Good Enough


Matthew 14:28-3128 “Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.”29 “Come,” he said. Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. 30 But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!” 31 Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?”

Probably once a month I tune up, turn on my mic, and hit record in my little basement studio in hopes to record my next CD.  At this point in my life I should have 4 full-length records… However, I get started and then talk my self out of finishing. “I’m not good enough,” “no one is listening,” “this is a waste of time,” or the words of past critics come creeping back in my mind.  These are the “Winds” on my sea.

For others it could be just the thoughts of our past: we think about where we’ve been, who we are or what we have done in the past and automatically discount our ability to do good.  In the verse above, Jesus called Peter onto the water (By Peters request) and asked him to come.  Peter did, but then suddenly become overwhelmed with doubt and fear.  In his defense, the wind off the water can be cold and strong and cause any sailor to be concerned.

What’s your wind?

How many times have you started a task that you felt called to take on, only to see the obstacles around you or start to feel like you weren’t good enough to continue?

It happens, but guess what? You are good enough! It is not because of what you have done or haven’t done, but because Jesus has said, “Come…” Ephesians 2:10  “For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.”

So, as the first month of the New Year has come and gone, let’s block out the wind, focus on Jesus and remember that we are HIS handiwork… We are Good Enough.
~adam

No comments:

Post a Comment